Oxford Dictionary Notes on 'Writing a Formal Letter'
WRITE A FORMAL LETTER
-- Write a Letter of Complaint
The important things to remember about writing formal letters are the layouy, Which follows particular conventions, and the language, which must be formal or semi-formal and polite, even when you are complaining.
(PUT DOWN THE TEXT IN NOTEPAD)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6 Fore Street
Kensington
London W89NW
Customer Service Manager
FlyHigh Airways
PO Box 589
London W3 5NJ
1 August 2014
Dear Sir/Madam
Booking reference: Porter POR 1359AZ
My wife and I and our two children, aged 2 and 4, were passengers on
flight LZ238 From London to Orlando, USA on July 23rd 2014. I am writing
to complain about a number of aspects of the service we received.
Firstly, when the flight was delayed, the staff at the airline's information
desk were very unhelpful. We were not even given a voucher for a drink
or meal, when it was clear the delay would be at least seven hours. This
meant that we had to spend a considerable amount of money in the
restaurant.
Then, when we were finally able to board, families were not allowed to
board first, although we had paid for this. As a result we were not able to sit
together, making our children, already very tired, extremely distressed.
It is a legal requirement for airline operators to provide suitable
refreshments in the event of a long delay. I would therfore expect some
compensation for your failure both to comply with this regulation and to
provide us with the priority boarding for which we had paid.
I enclose our boarding passes and look forward to hearing from you
shortly.
Yours faithfully
S R Porter (Dr)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WRITING THE LETTER LAYOUT
Look carefully at the layout of the model letter and note:
1. Your address, but not your name, goes at the top on right.
2. The name and address of the person you are writing to goes on the left.
3. If you do not know a name, use a position e.g. 'Customer Services Manager'.
4. The date goes under either address.
5. Give some kind of reference or use a heading (e.g. Poor Service Levels).
TIPS
1. Tone: Be polite and formal, but keep your language simple and clear.
2. Use short sentences rather than long ones.
3. Try not to be emotional; avoid you/you didn't if possible.
If you are writing in American English,
Remember:
1. Use American spelling and punctuation e.g. Mrs., Dr., etc.
2. End your letter Sincerely, Sincerely yours, or
yours truly,.
LANGUAGE BANK
-- Openings and Closings
Dear Sir/Madam............Yours faithfully
Dear Ms Walker...............Yours sincerely
-- Introducing the topic
I am writing to complain about/to express my dissatisfaction with...
The purpose of this letter is to express my disappointment with...
-- Describing the problem
Strong Adjectives: appalled, disstressed, disgusted, shocked
Less Strong: Disappointed, dismayed, dissatisfied.
-- What do you want
Definite: A full/partial refund, a replacement, an apology
More flexible: Compensation, reimbursement, recompense
-- Endings
I look forward to your swift reply.
I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.
O look forward to hearing from you without delay.
I very much hope to hear from you shortly.
I await your prompt reply.
WRITING A LETTER TO A NEWSPAPER
This should still be a formal letter, but because it is for the public, it should show your opinion clearly or tell people something interesting or new. It can be direct and feel quite personal - you can use I, we and you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sir
The craze for reality TV
As a student in my early twenties I am a part of a key audience for TV channels.
Why then, do I find so little to interest or entertain me? One trend I find
Particularly appalling is the increase in 'reality' TV programmes such as
survivor, Big Brother and Fear Factor, to name but a few.
'Reality' TV shows involve 'real' people performing ridiculous and often
dangerous acts and generally behaving horribly towards each other.
These shows appeal to that part us which takes pleasure in watching
the humiliation of others and I believe that programme-makers are being
irresponsible by promoting this. It is demeaning to both the participants and
the viewers.
Even worse, these programmes are having a negative effect on salary,
particularly on young people, who no longer feel any shame at watching or
taking part in this kind of disgraceful behaviour. A national survey recently
stated that one in seven British teenagers hopes to become famous by going
on a show like this! The average British adult watches 26 hours of television
per week. Reality TV is not only a waste of time, but it is dangerous. I believe
It can and will affect our society, dragging it down into the gutter.
It is time we made a stand against reality TV, in favor of quality TV. How can
we do it? Start by changing the channel.
Maria Fedora
Madrid
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~ A title attarcts the readers' attention
~ Give information about you if relevant.
~ Use strong adjectives. (appalling)
~ Exclamation marks are acceptable to show how you feel.
~ A challenge to readers can be effective. (It is time we made a stand against reality TV, in favor of quality TV. How can
we do it? Start by changing the channel.)
~ Ending: No finishing phrase is needed.
~ PARAGRAPH 1: Clear introduction of the topic and the writer's opinion.
~ PARAGRAPH 2: Main point, with reasons.
~ PARAGRAPH 3: Further point to support main one, with reasons and/or examples.
~ PARAGRAPH 4: Repeats the writer's opinion and offers a challenge.

Comments
Post a Comment